Concerts in Omaha
If it’s August, it’s time for free, outdoor live music in Omaha’s scenic Turner Park. Mark your calendars for FIVE nights of incredibly talented performers hosted by two of the region’s most popular concert series – Jazz on the Green and Playing with Fire – plus the August installment of Omaha’s original Night Market.
Jazz on the Green at Turner Park, presented by Omaha Performing Arts
The Chad Stoner Band is set to headline Thursday, August 3, bringing an unforgettable experience of R&B swagger and funk fire guaranteed to lift your spirit and feed your soul. Polly O’Keary and The Rhythm Method, in partnership with the Blues Society of Omaha, is set to open the concert.
Omaha is set to welcome internationally renowned guitarist Ana Popovic to the Turner Park Pavilion on Thursday, August 10. Her guitar-driven, eclectic music style has put her on the map as one of the most thoughtful, dynamic and committed performers in modern songwriting and guitar. The Toast will open the concert.
Due to extreme heat earlier in the season, Thursday, August 17 promises to be an extra special Jazz on the Green with two can’t-miss performers in one night!
- The United States Heartland of America Band’s rock band Raptor is set to bring their extraordinary talent and range of music from rock-n-roll classics, country standards, and patriotic favorites to the chart-topping hits of today to the “Made in America” show.
- Multi-Grammy-nominated saxophonist, composer, bandleader, educator and producer Bobby Watson will then take the stage to close out the night. With a career that spans more than four decades, 40+ recordings under his own name and appearances on 100+ other titles, Bobby Watson sits among the pantheon of present-day jazz greats.
Now in its 19th year, Omaha’s Playing with Fire free summer concert series returns to Turner Park on August 11 and 12 with a jam-packed line-up sure to keep you entertained all weekend.
Friday, August 11 welcomes:
- Thorbjørn Risager & The Black Tornado, an award-winning Danish blues-rock band from Copenhagen with a fierce horn section
- Samantha Martin & Delta Sugar, a seven-piece Toronto blues band renowned for their mix of blues, gospel, and rock
Come back Saturday, August 12 for:
- Bywater Call, a Toronto-based southern soul band that blends blues and roots-rock; a must-see fueled by a smokin’ seven-piece and a powerful vocalist
- Joanne Shaw Taylor, a critically acclaimed, sultry British singer-guitarist who was discovered at age 13 and, while in her 30s, is breaking into the UK Top 20 Album Charts
- Josh Hoyer & Soul Colossal, an Omaha favorite, this Lincoln band has earned multiple OEA Awards
- BluesEd, the Omaha youth group Us and Them, will open the show
The August installment of the Night Market, presented by Veridian Credit Union, pairs the live music Omaha loves with 30+ local vendors, live entertainment, outdoor games, eats and drinks – and fun! Don’t miss Blues Ed bands, Us & Them and The Redwoods, kicking off the evening and local favorite Omaha Street Percussion closing out the night with their signature high-energy performance.
Best Restaurants in Omaha
And because no visit to Midtown Crossing and Turner Park is complete without a patio outing, we’ve rounded up some can’t-miss flavors you’re sure to enjoy!
Mmm – margaritas have never tasted so good! Head to Pa Mas Taqueria and Grill for one of their signature Margarita Flights, complete with four margarita flavors, perfect for sipping and savoring alongside their signature tacos, queso and guacamole.
Best Takeout Omaha
Whether you find yourself in the neighborhood on a low-key, serene evening or a busy night with 8,000 other Omahans, a takeout picnic always hits the spot! Midtown Crossing restaurants offers something for everyone – like the Chicken Mango at Sea Thai, Lunch Box Wings at Ray’s Wings, Pizza and Drinks, Urban Legend at Smokin’ Oak Wood-Fired Pizza + Taproom, or Buffalo Mac & Shews at Modern Love.
Whether you opt for a classic House Old Fashioned or one of Proof Whiskey Bar & Craft Cocktail’s limited-time-only summer cocktails, your Midtown Crossing evening isn’t complete without one… or two! The Orange Creamsicle pairs especially well with a seat on their patio.
Small Plates and Urban Patio Vibes
If you’re looking to take in the activity along Farnam Street on a busy summer evening, there’s no better spot than the Stories Coffee Company patio. Their Cheese Board, Pork Belly Burnt Ends Skewers and Patatas Bravas will keep you coming back for more!